01 March, 2011

Blogger! Hooray!

Finally, FINALLY, after all this time, Treasured Move/Silent Hill Stables can have a blog of it's very own. What a good way to start the month of March!

Now, I know that there are going to be new readers and friends out there, so let me tell you a little about myself:

My name is Cyra. I'm 21 years old, and a model horse hobbyist. I got my first Breyers way back in the day, probably when I was about 6 years of age. I remember at a young age sifting through my mother's new issues of State Line Tack, flipping right to the toys, and circling all of the horses I wanted for Christmas, my birthday, or just because it happened to be Tuesday or it was sunny. Those were fond memories. As I got older, I began to care a little less about plastic ponies and more about the stuff that "cool kids" were into. But then I was walking through Walmart and found two black horsey eyes staring at me from behind a thin plastic wall, and I decided to take up collecting again. This went on for a couple of years, but then I moved on to other things once again. I began collecting My Little Ponies from the third generation. Then the recession hit, and all of a sudden those $5 MLPs shot up to about $8 apiece. This wasn't something I could afford, having very little money as far as allowance went. After a while, I gave up my hobby of My Little Ponies. Now fast forward to late 2008/early 2009. I can't remember exactly what it was that rekindled my romance with Breyer horses... perhaps it was the dozens of horsey eyes that stared at me in the tent for a local tack shop at a county fair. Maybe it was the homeless ponies in Agway that needed some tender love. Whatever the reason, I was bitten by the bug, and bitten for good! My dwindling little collection of not even twenty ponies began to increase, and with it, my passion for horses and learning about them. I now am the proud owner of over 160 Breyer horses, with a couple of animals and a few Schleichs thrown in. I also found a love for customizing those wee Stablemates, something carried over from the days of My Little Pony (only the Breyers didn't need their heads ripped off and hair replaced!). I continue to collect these horses, along with the occasional custom, and also making props for them - everything from simple halters to a very involved Liverpool jump!

But I haven't just been a model horse owner most of my life... oh, no. Back in the eighties my parents bought a horse we co-owned for a few years, then eventually owned ourselves. She was a beautiful, bay Thoroughbred racing filly by the name of Jolly Girl, a daughter of the amazing Cutlass, who had broken her leg during a race and eventually came into our lives. The filly needed a new name, but no one could decide what... after a bit of discussion, it was decided that my name and the name of the co-owner's son (Jeremiah), would be combined... Jessariah was now ours (the co-owner, being Dutch, had a little trouble pronouncing "Cyra" correctly... oops! But I think it sounds better than Juh-sie-ree-uh, personally). Jessariah's leg healed in time, and it was decided that she should try racing again. She was entered in one race, and lost. Figuring that she shouldn't be pushed, she was turned into a Western pleasure mare. After a few years, my mom purchased another horse... a beautiful chestnut Quarter Horse gelding by the name of Tequila. Unfortunately, the combined board bill became too expensive, and the mare Jessariah had to be sold. I miss her still, to this day. But Tequila was here to stay. Now, at the age of almost 26, he's one of my greatest gifts. He's my best friend, my guardian angel, my healer, my pride and joy. Now that I'm older, Tequila has become a major influence on what I do. He's taught me so much, and continues to be the best teacher I could ever have asked for. I hope one day to have him immortalized as a resin model.

Other than collecting model horses and riding real ones, I have many other interests. I enjoy painting, drawing, writing, spending time with my friends, pphotography, taking walks, singing, and many others. I am what some consider to be Goth - black or dark clothing, odd makeup, love for all things spooky, but! that doesn't mean I'm mean and evil. I'm a very approachable person, who enjoys the bright and happy as much as the dark and gloomy. Being the way I am merely means that I find beauty in places where some are afraid to look. Don't judge me on my looks or my makeup or the music I listen to... there's more to Cyra than the outside! I consider myself an artist, and would love to persue some career in that field. But for now, I just do things at home.

So what kind of things should you expect from this blog? That's a sensible question. You can pretty much expect everything here: my collection, newly acquired members of the herd, updates here from Silent Hill (the name of my "stable". It was originally named after those scary video games that I love so much, but also, where I live is fairly quiet and in a hilly area), model horse news, reviews of products, videos, photos, hand-made items, customs, talking about real horses, tips and tricks, and all sorts of other things.

Well, this has already taken me over an hour to write, and it's very late (1:21 AM on the east coast), and I happen to have a sinus headache. I hope you enjoy this blog, and I'll see you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment